Skip to main content

Compendium of Links #25

I’ve been in the middle of some exciting developments about which I’ll write a blog post… tomorrow. Hopefully. But in the meantime, here are a few of the links I found interesting this week:

Anatomy of a Tear-Jerker, or why certain songs invariably make people tear up. A Wall Street Journal article that Challies put me on to.

You think you have a budget problem? You’re one of few people, maybe the only one, that’s having to make the money choices. Imagine having thousands of lobbyists bugging you about your budget. And having to deal with a penny that’s technically worth more than twice what it trades for. Via Challies. (Actually I think I got most of the links this week from Challies… must remedy that next time!)

Now from Challies himself: A podcast on introversion, with transcript. Being my visual self, I haven’t listened to the podcast, preferring instead to read his thoughts.

In the end I see introversion as simply a descriptor, something that states the reality that at heart, in my natural state, I am a shy and quiet person. It is intensely difficult for me to be with a lot of people for a long time and it is incredibly draining for me to stand in front of a group of people. It can feel like death to preach a sermon. Being alone or being with just my wife is life to me. In this way introversion describes my natural inclinations and predispositions. I don’t expect this to ever change. But what I demand of myself is to ensure that I do not allow my personality, my introversion, to have a negative impact on my life and ministry. I want to emphasize and enjoy the ways that introversion is healthy for me and effective in ministry, and I want to work hard to deny what seems to good and natural when it will have a negative impact.

Seven marks of humility as described by a writer on a Christian counseling website. All based on Jesus’ example.

God’s leadership principles are the complete opposite of man’s. Consider just one. If a man wants to go up then he goes up. If he wants to climb the corporate ladder then he climbs (often stepping on a good number of others in the process). If a man wants to sit in the most important chair at the banquet then he sits there. It’s as simple as that. But in God’s economy of glory the way up is not up; it is down. It is the one who sits in the most obscure chair in the room who may be asked to sit in the chief place (Lk 14:7-10).

And the requisite slightly girly link: Tim Tebow takes a nine-year-old out for a date. The circumstances make it not-creepy and oh-so-admirable. Here’s hoping his influence rubs off on some of our culture’s young male sports fans! P.S. How many Christian girls have celeb crushes on this guy? I’ve heard the fever is rampant but I don’t think I’ve met anyone yet who admits to having fallen ill of it. Maybe I just haven’t asked enough people about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog