Skip to main content

Compendium of Links #37

I’m winding down a week of filling in for the associate editor, which means I’ve been at work until 11 p.m. most evenings (good thing I didn’t start till afternoon!) and am still running on that second-shift schedule. One of these days I’ll recover my mornings.

In the meantime, I hope the following links entertain, interest and invigorate you:

A friend recommended I listen to some music by Future of Forestry, a group from the Northwest that does Christian music now. It was okay, not addicting though, like Rich Mullins or Simon and Garfunkel.

12 things every author needs to know before a radio interview – actually pretty worthwhile for anyone being interviewed on radio/podcast. Pretty sure I found it via Challies.

200 years of Pride and Prejudice book design!! How fun! My favorite is the one from circa 1894, I think. I do love the peacock symbolism.

This blogger explains better than I can why I didn’t finish the book The Circle Maker when I started reading it this fall.

It’s meant to be inspiring, to awaken the dreamer in each of us. To rekindle a sleeping imagination with the embers of faith and prayer.

But this cynical heart of mine is not easily inspired anymore. I read books like this through narrowed eyes. I allow myself to become closed off by words and sentences that feel too simplistic. I am stirred to frustration rather than faith.

Show me your slideshow of Before-the-Miracle and After-the-Miracle snapshots, and my first thought is It’s not really as simple as all that. My thought is You’ve left out the mess. It’s the craft tutorial that leaves out the glue-gun burns and all the times you’ll have to pull out the stitches and start over. It’s the episode of Extreme Home Makeover that’s so inspiring but so unrealistic.

I want to know more about the “long, boring” years of praying that Batterson mentions in the book. I want to know what it feels like to walk around and around and see nothing happen.

The post should be read in its entirety, though. Go check it out.

Gene Veith asks, “how do you know when you’re an adult?” I think it’s when you commit to something major and stop blaming something external to yourself for a failure to achieve some dream.

A mathematician ponders the wonder that is the beginning of a child’s life…

Awesome in the fullest traditional meaning of the word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog