Skip to main content

I rather enjoy riddles...

...if you haven't guessed. Seriously, I used to collect them. And I ran across one of my old favorites just yesterday, in a lovely math/logic book.

Suppose you're on a game show, where there are three doors--one of which conceals an Aston Martin in mint condition, and the other two of which conceal goats. (Obviously you're aiming for the Aston Martin.) You are told to pick a door, then the host--who knows where the Aston Martin is--will open one of the other doors to reveal a goat. You pick door number one; the host opens door number three, exposing a goat. Should you switch to door number two or stick with your original choice?

The answer is completely and unbelievably counterintuitive.

(Oh, yeah, that other riddle... the probability is 1/125, at least in my opinion.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog