Skip to main content

Thoughts from the week

It so happens that I started my first job out of college this week. Pretty exciting—especially since, gracias a Dios, this is a full-time job in my intended career field, and I got it straight out of college.

One consequence of getting a full-time job is that I am too busy during the week to write things for which I’m not paid. But, that’s what weekends are for!

Thought #1: Last Sunday, I was made a witness to the wonders of modern technology and its potential to further missions work. My church’s associate pastor coordinated a Skype call with a missionary out in Russia, and lo and behold, we were able to transcend thousands of miles to learn about a tentmaking-type ministry being launched there, info coming straight from the horse’s mouth, so to speak.

I know this next phrase is cliché, but “something stirred in my heart” while hearing the pastor-missionary speak on the big screen up front. Since going to college I’ve not had much money to do anything besides pay school bills. So, my church and missions giving dropped off precipitously about three and a half years ago. Even though I was a college student, I did want to give… but it happened only sporadically.

All that to say, hearing about God’s work in Russia moved me to renew my regular giving, in addition to praying and otherwise supporting my friends in their missions endeavors. And the first paycheck I got yesterday served as a good reminder of Sunday’s lesson!

Thought #2: Oh yeah, I graduated last Saturday.

  • The key of a college education, for me as a Christian, was to learn to serve God more effectively. In retrospect, I’m pretty sure the college succeeded.
  • But the fun of going to college was meeting some of my best friends and spending late nights watching movies or playing games with them!
  • And just for the record: May 21 was officially not the end of the world. Just sayin’. Smile with tongue out

Thought #3: Sitting in the front pew at church is pretty fun. No distractions from in front of you. I know some people get paranoid about the people sitting behind them, but that’s never bothered me.

Coming up: your weekly does of interesting, random, and funny links.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog