Skip to main content

Compendium of Links #33

Hey, I’ve had a good couple weeks at work. Did I mention I got promoted? No? Well, I got promoted. That means a salary. And that, in turn, means I buy frivolous things more often. (Don’t worry; basically all my frivolous spending is done at Goodwill, so it’s about $5 frittered away.)

Apologies to the blogs I frequent. I can’t remember where I first saw most of these links…

Honor Code – an NYT op-ed writer reflects on how Shakespeare’s Henry V would fare in today’s American elementary school atmosphere:

First, Henry would withdraw. He’d decide that the official school culture is for wimps and softies and he’d just disengage. In kindergarten, he’d wonder why he just couldn’t be good. By junior high, he’d lose interest in trying and his grades would plummet.

An Unschooled Church – Barnabas Piper writing over at WORLD Magazine’s blog suggests churches shouldn’t always be pushing for the right answer – that in fact, congregations imitate the failure of educational institutions by squelching creativity that way.

How the Supreme Court keeps its rulings a secret. By threatening dire consequences, of course!

When Homosexuality Became a Man – A touching narrative of a man who ministered to other men struggling with homosexual temptation.

The curse of motivational speaking – You know, I never liked motivational speakers, either. But I would state other reasons in addition to this:

My chief quarrel with motivational speaking is that it reduces God to a means rather than an end. Men and women are not made to see that the nature of SIN lies in the letter “I” in the middle of the word. Instead, motivational speaking feeds that same ego and points to God as the one who can spoil it to the point of intoxication. That is a lie! It is God alone who must be at the centre of our lives. Christianity demands a dying to self, a taking up of one’s cross, and a following after a suffering Saviour.

So is there a “gay cure” or is there not? I don’t think it really matters. Others seem to place more emphasis on the question and its elusive answer. The following from an NYT article:

In a phone interview Thursday from Orlando, Fla., where Exodus has its headquarters, Mr. Chambers amplified on the views that have stirred so much controversy. He said that virtually every “ex-gay” he has ever met still harbors homosexual cravings, himself included. Mr. Chambers, who left the gay life to marry and have two children, said that gay Christians like himself faced a lifelong spiritual struggle to avoid sin and should not be afraid to admit it.

Who was that strange Mrs. Moore that C.S. Lewis lived with for decades? My roomie provided me a link to an article explaining her.

Families should make a practical search for an affordable college. YES x 1,000,000,000.

Another blog pops up about living life as a single Christian. This gal’s in D.C. and is a writer of some sort. Sounds right up my alley!

And for your weekly (or kind-of-maybe-monthly) video: Another great oldie from What You Ought To Know. How to be happy!

The only way you can be happy is if you know what it’s like to be unhappy… profounder than it sounds.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congratulations on your raise! Does that mean you will come to Akron more often since you have more gasoline money??????
Love, Carol

Popular posts from this blog