Skip to main content

“Sense and Sensibility” Tamil style

After watching “Bride and Prejudice” with my friends, one gal (who had seen B&P) said she actually possessed a Bollywood adaptation of Jane Austen’s “Sense and Sensibility.” Naturally, I was all agog to see it. And fortunately I did, pronto.

“I Have Found It” is very different from “Bride and Prejudice,” not least because you have to use the subtitles because it’s legit Indian. It still has fantastic costumes and lots of musical numbers, and the star of the show is the same gal (speaking really really fast Indian this time though, or whatever the language was…. Punjabi or Tamil I’d guess).

Odd thing was, they were really really random musical sequences stuck in there. One was in Scotland of all places… Scotland has nothing to do with the storyline; it was just pretty, apparently. (Same thing with the sequence in Egypt.)

But it was a decent adaptation, really. And I thought the equivalent of Colonel Brandon was fantastic in his role.

And to think, I was not even aware of the existence of a Bollywood S&S production until this month…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog