Skip to main content

Good morning!

I’m not dead! Can you believe it?

OK, so I know the whole “I’m not dead” bit is getting pretty old. You see, I’ve been finishing up my last semester of college. And you’ve heard how seniors are always the busiest, and yet the least motivated to finish their homework?

Fortunately I’ve not suffered much of the senioritis syndrome. Instead, I’ve just taken somewhat easy classes. Linguistics? Homework is done in five minutes. Rhetoric? I don’t even read the book anymore and I still ace most of the little quizzes.

That’s how easy some of these classes are for me. Case in point: in the rhetoric class, to illustrate the importance of metaphor and language in carrying meaning between people… we spent 3/4ths of the class time watching an episode of Star Trek. “Darmok” was certainly entertaining, but sometimes I question whether we needed to spend so much time (about 40-45 minutes) watching it just to illustrate this bit.

On the other hand, my co-curricular/extra-curricular activities have eaten up more time than they have in previous semesters. I’m working like four-ish jobs (one of which I’m getting practicum credit for). I just finished my senior honors project (thank goodness that’s done! though I did enjoy it). And I’m in the women’s chorus of the drama department’s spring musical, “The King and I.”

Thus I am rarely back to my apartment for good until about ten o’clock at night. (Except Wednesdays. Wednesdays are wonderful days.)

Comments

da_baum said…
As a music major, I've never understood that part where seniors are the busiest... I've always been pretty packed, and my "hardest" semesters are the ones where I have so much music stuff going on it's impossible to finish everything. So fall semesters, basically the month leading up to our Christmas concerts... But I guess I'm not a normal senior, since I still have a sophomore level class left to take, along with a general STILL...oh well...

Yay for you graduating in five weeks though! And yay for Star Trek in class.. :)
readersis said…
See, the music majors I know are pretty much equally busy either semester... if it's not the Christmas concert it's the spring concert, plus this year several of the music people are involved in the musical (like I am).

FWIW I do know seniors who have gen-eds to finish. Philosophy sometimes ends up there, or public speaking, depending on the major.

Hehe, Star Trek in class is kind of fun. The most entertaining, though, was when the 4'11" girl sitting next to me admitted to a serious obsession with Harry Potter... and the 6'5" guy across the room started talking quite animatedly about Quidditch. We must have wasted twenty minutes talking about stuff related to Harry Potter.
da_baum said…
Well, I have a million concerts both semesters, just I have Christmas concerts at school then at my church two weekends in a row...plus I had a junior recital last semester. That was a fun time...

So I watched that episode right after I posted. I liked it. And the great thing is, my dad knew the episode right away when I mentioned it...he probably hasn't seen it in 15+ years...
readersis said…
Ohhh a junior recital. A friend of mine had hers last semester too. And my roomie just had her senior recital!

Wow, your dad must have been as much of a Trekkie as my mom. Maybe more though. My mom never actually went to any Star Trek conventions.
da_baum said…
Ha, I don't think my dad has been to one either. He used to record the audio from the original series on a reel-to-reel player and listen to it as he went to bed though... I got him the entire collection of Star Trek comic books on DVD for his birthday next month, and in past years have gotten him a Klingon-English dictionary (he's a linguist on top of being a Trekkie...), as well as the entirety of the original series and all ten of the real Star Trek movies. The new one is not really Star Trek...
Sarah said…
Your dad recorded the Star Trek audio and used it as a lullaby, essentially... wow. Definitely amusing. Yeah the new movie was questionably Star Trek. I liked Bones though, in the new one; he was probably my favorite character from the original series.

Didn't know your dad was a linguist. Has he seen the Klingon Language Institute website? :P
da_baum said…
I'm not sure. I have. Not sure if that's something I actually want people to know though...

Popular posts from this blog