Skip to main content

Boundless challenges… week one



And so much for posting digests.

The first week of the Boundless Summer Challenge was “Relationships Week.” Meaning, most of the challenges had to do with “significant others,” as if that kind of relationship constituted 9/10ths of the relationships in life.

No comment on how unimpressed I was by this beginning. But I did it anyway (mostly).

I won’t post the notes I wrote on Facebook here. Instead, a few links with a few thoughts:

  • First/second challenge involved reading 38 pages of dating advice. Really. No, I don’t agree with some of what he said. The guy advocates a courtship model, essentially, and some of it comes across as if he’s saying “this is what the Bible says, no ifs, ands or buts” though he does say that good Christians disagree on interpretations. I think he’s legalistic, but he does make good points about where dating as commonly practiced tends to fail us.
  • Third challenge was to memorize Romans 12:9-13: Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality. It was great to return to Bible memorization, with meditation included. This was probably my favorite challenge.
  • Fourth challenge was to read a short Bible verse (Eph. 5:33) and the first chapter in Love and Respect (conveniently on Google Books!), plus skimming the homepage of the 5 Love Languages. Quite interesting, and on Facebook this part sparked a discussion about whether “men need respect and women need love” is leaving out the fact that women, too, need respect, and men need love as well. I can see where the author’s coming from, I think; still, I’m not sure how much I’d like a man who “loved” me but didn’t respect me. It’s hard to separate the two concepts.
  • Fifth challenge is still in progress.
  • Sixth? To select a few articles from a classic Boundless series and then make one of those “ideal husband” lists of qualities. I’d seen the articles before; thought about the list a little bit; and didn’t really gain much insight here. (Though it was nice to have this short list clearly set forth for my own future reference.) On a side note, I already disagreed with the “soul mate” philosophy. Heartily.

I haven’t even started the seventh challenge, unfortunately. And I don’t intend to tonight. I hardly got four hours of sleep last night, due to high heat, and have been moderately sarcastic all day (i.e., cranky from loss of sleep).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog