My sister treated me to “Voyage of the Dawn Treader” at the local cinema yesterday. I enjoyed it so much, I wanted to re-read the book immediately.
Of course, I do not own this book; my sister does. She had first dibs and finally finished it late last night.
Now that I’ve also finished it (a feat accomplished early this afternoon) and have also been able to compare the two (my memory of the book was kinda foggy), I have a few observations:
- At least they didn’t add too much of a love interest this time… but still…
- The way in which they sliced, diced and spliced adventures from the book to make the movie was kind of odd, but it seemed to work.
- There were more wishy-washy “believe in yourself” type messages in the movie than in the book.
- Eustace in the movie was PERFECT! As in, the movie seemed to capture his character quite well.
- The movie was definitely darker than the book… but aren’t all modern movies? I’d at least feel comfortable reading the book to younger kids, whereas the movie would probably give some kids nightmares.
- In summary, don’t go expecting it to be just like the book. Duh.