Skip to main content

Recent reads...

I've been working on The Screwtape Letters this week... don't remember when I started them; yesterday morning, probably. I'd forgotten how much I like C.S. Lewis's writing. After this I'll probably re-read Mere Christianity again.

So far my favorite part of Screwtape is letter 13, in which Screwtape is exhorting his nephew Wormwood not to let his assigned human enjoy any real pleasures... because "the characteristic of Pains and Pleasures is that they are unmistakably real, and therefore, as far as they go, give the man who feels them a touchstone of reality... it (a real pleasure) would just kill by contrast all the trumpery which you have been so laboriously teaching him to value...." Intriguing, isn't it?

I also started re-reading A.W. Tozer's The Pursuit of God, but that was awhile ago and I still haven't gotten far... still, the good thing about this book is that you can read one of those chapters in about five or ten minutes (they're short) and think about it for a few days. Good stuff. (I've mentioned Tozer a couple times , back in '06.)

Oh yeah; as of this post, I'll be ten posts away from two hundred. Beautiful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog