Skip to main content

Compendium of Links #53

I have not slept well all week. Last night I think I slept for maybe 45 minutes, woke up, and then proceeded to spend the next 6 hours trying to go back to sleep. However, today's nap and tonight's sleep will probably set me back to rights.

In the meantime, you may entertain and inform yourself with the following random links!

Annoying Things in Worship Songs - you know, like being simplistic, repeating endlessly... oh wait...

Buy a beard! Or a mustache! You can even get a two-part beard that looks like ram's horns.

To Dwell in Possibilities - A friend o' mine started a blog geared toward young single Christian gals. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Unknown mathematician proves elusive property of prime numbers - "Written by a mathematician virtually unknown to the experts in his field — a 50-something lecturer at the University of New Hampshire named Yitang Zhang — the paper claimed to have taken a huge step forward in understanding one of mathematics’ oldest problems, the twin primes conjecture."

On Buzzfeed: Which Jane Austen heroine are you? A few apparently silly questions claim to give you an accurate description. I ended up with Elinor Dashwood - "You’re mature and know when to be serious, but you also have a snarky sense of humour that makes you fun to be around. You’re creative and artistic, and appreciate pretty things. You’re a great listener and really good at keeping secrets, which means you’re a fabulous best friend." Well then.

Also on Buzzfeed (via my sis): 26 reasons babies are pretty much just tiny drunk adults!

Russell Brand reflects on a decade of fighting drug addiction - "Even if it began as a timid glass of chardonnay on a ponce's yacht, it would end with me necking the bottle, swimming to shore and sprinting to Bethnal Green in search of a crack house. I look to drugs and booze to fill up a hole in me; unchecked, the call of the wild is too strong. I still survey streets for signs of the subterranean escapes that used to provide my sanctuary. I still eye the shuffling subclass of junkies and dealers, invisibly gliding between doorways through the gutters. I see that dereliction can survive in opulence; the abundantly wealthy with destitution in their stare."

In case you were curious to know what it takes to get yourself your first U.S. passport, here's your answer! Assuming, of course, that you are a U.S. citizen.

Wolfram|Alpha answers your most pressing questions about your use of Facebook - including how your Facebook friends are connected to each other, their demographics, and of course, the words you use the most in your status updates:


And for your closing video, audio play of the original Cups song.

Comments

Abby said…
ok, didn't have time to read it all yet, but will get to it...
ironic article about the songs/psalms
yes I knew you could buy mustache

I am
Fanny Price
You’re quite shy and have often felt like an outsider, but around your closest friends you aren’t afraid to open up. You’re fiercely loyal and kind to everyone (even if they don’t always deserve it). While you hate exercise, you love reading and learning
readersis said…
How funny. A good bit of that description actually is accurate, I'd say. Did you think so?
Abby said…
The reply:
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought, first time for everything, right? :-)

The continuation:
oh, she has lots of words on her blog....

you and your silly math...:-D

I thought the babies thing was funny and I still think it is funny :-D

why were you reading something by Brand? And if he actually wrote it, he has a good vocabulary. So that's why he looks like a controlled druggie...

Going somewhere? ;-)

Amusing, Whovian made it?!?

are they actually clapping with each other and stuff??
readersis said…
I saw the Brand thing posted by somebody on Facebook, I believe, right after I'd seen the movie "Penelope" and our cousin had pointed him out in it. I was curious, and my curiosity was well rewarded.

Well, I'm certainly hoping to go somewhere!!

Haha!! Did you not realize that is my own status word cloud?? :P

I think, in that video, they really are doing all the clapping and such. All the other videos (with less desirable audio quality) show them performing the song live, with cups, all a cappella.
Abby said…
I did realize that, and was amazed that you said Whovian in status updates enough to make the list...
Unknown said…
Loved the article on worship songs. We should sing the Psalms! :-) The words are definitely better than some of today's music.
readersis said…
Mom... I think you missed the point of the worship song article...

Popular posts from this blog