Skip to main content

Long-range (not) planning

You know those essay questions that you get for various job or scholarship or internship applications? The ones that ask you where you see yourself in five, ten, twenty years?

I hate those. This is why.
I have come to see that I am always wrong about what I’ll be doing “five years from now.”

Maybe once upon a time I thought there was something I knew for sure I was going to do "when I grew up." Something in particular--I was going to live in my old hometown, or I was going to work at a newspaper every summer, or whatever. How silly that is, when the world itself goes on without consulting your every whim. What makes us think we could know enough of future circumstances to be able to plan for them?

Only God knows our plans. Us here on earth--we can hardly tell what will happen next month, let alone in five years.

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty, will I be rich
Here's what she said to me.

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.

--Doris Day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog